Have you given much thought to your garage door lately? The garage door is the biggest and heaviest moving item in most homes, and more than 20,000 people each year are injured by them. That’s why we wanted to share with you these important safety guidelines that can help keep you and your family safe:
1. Make sure children cannot reach the garage door opener controls.
2. Remind children that the garage door remote is not a toy.
3. Make sure you know how to use your garage door’s emergency release features work.
4. When is the last time you looked at the workings of your garage door? Check your garage door regularly and hire a professional for periodic inspections.
5. Make sure your garage door’s reversing mechanism is working. Place an object, such as an empty paper towel holder, in the door’s path and make sure the door does not close on the object. Call a repairman if the door does not go back up automatically.